Tips on Getting Organized + Simplifying Life in the New Year
Hey there lovely people! So many of us are working on our New Years resolutions this time of year, and for a lot of people, that’s organizing and simplifying. For me, simplifying was kind of forced on me with this move to South Carolina. We moved into a furnished apartment, and we only had our two cars to move in. Therefore, we could only bring a small amount of things with us. I was really stressed about it at first, but it has actually been so nice to live with less. There has been less clutter, less cleaning, and way less overwhelm. It’s amazing how little you actually need to live a satisfied life. Obviously, organizing and decluttering will have to wait until I get home, but I’ve been taking note of all of the things I need to do, and I wanted to share some tips with you all today! OH and if you make it all the way to the end, there will be a freebie waiting for you!
Clean Out Your Closet
Ok guys, this is a big one! This is probably the number one way I feel more organized and less cluttered. I usually try and clean out my closet at least twice a year for that reason. If you haven’t watched Tidying Up on Netflix, I highly recommend it for gaining some inspiration. Marie Kondo has such a great point of view when it comes to getting rid of things: If it doesn’t “spark joy” in your life, let it go. I love that so much! So go through your closets (and pretty much every other room in your house) and get rid of anything that doesn’t bring you joy. Here’s how to do that:
- First pull out everything that’s hanging in your closet so you can really see all of your clothes in a pile.
- Next, pull everything out of your dresser drawers (shorts, tees, whatever else might be hiding in there) and lay it out so you can see what you’re working with. You might as well go ahead and do the same with your coat closet and any other storage space you use for your clothing.
- Ok here’s my golden rule: If you haven’t worn it in one year, no matter the season, get rid of it. OR if it doesn’t “spark joy” get rid of it. I know this is SO hard. I am totally the type of person that gets emotionally attached to things that my mom or Kevin bought me, so I have a really hard time with this. But you can do it! Don’t sit there and say to yourself “but I might wear it this year.” Don’t do it. Just get rid of it. You most likely won’t even miss it. It is honestly so freeing to get rid of the clutter.
- When I say get rid of it, I don’t necessarily mean throw it out. Make three piles: Sell. Donate. Throw away. If it still has the tags on it, try and make a few bucks off of it! Just be honest about the amount of wear you’ve gotten out of it, what you originally paid, and how it fits. I would recommend selling on a site like Poshmark. Or Facebook and Insta stories work really well for some people too. You can try places like Plato’s Closet that will give you cash on the spot, but I don’t recommend taking nicer items there because they either won’t take it or they’ll give you like $5 for an Anthropologie top. What you choose to donate or throw away is totally up to you. Just make sure whatever you decide to donate doesn’t end up sitting in the back of your car for months (guilty).
- Once you have everything sorted, take the time to put what you’re keeping back in an organized way. Again, watch Tidying Up for some great tips and tricks for this! Marie Kondo has an amazing folding method that I can’t wait to try back home!
- Whatever you decide to hang, come up with a method that makes it easy for you to find what you’re looking for. For me, I choose to order everything by season and sleeve length. I start with sleeveless things in the front, then short sleeves, then long sleeves, and then layering pieces like cardigans and light jackets. You can go even further and break it up into casual and work clothes too. Some people organize it by color, prints, etc. Do what works for you. Remember, this is all to make YOUR life easier!
- Over time, try to replace all of your hangers so that they match. I love the thin, velvet hangers because they’re better for the clothes + they take up less room in the closet. Not to mention, having all of the hangers match is a dream come true if you’re any amount of OCD like me.
Clean Out Your Bathroom
This is another big one. How many of you look under your sink or in your drawers and feel overwhelmed by the amount of STUFF that’s in there? I know I have. This was one area I tackled while we were packing and to see it cleaned out made such huge impact.
- Take everything out of your drawers and cabinets and put it in a pile.
- Kind of like with clothing, if you haven’t used it in about 6 months, trash it. Or if its unopened, maybe see if your family or friends want it!
- Check expiration dates. If they’ve expired, trash them.
- The best thing you can do to reorganize everything is go to Target or the Container Store and buy little organizing trays for your drawers and makeup and larger containers for your other products that belong in your cabinets. If you’re working with small spaces here, I highly recommend cute little makeup displays and holders to sit on your counter.
A lot of these tips and tricks can be used throughout the rest of your home, like in the kitchen, for example. Small containers and storage bins are your best friends! Just remember: if it doesn’t bring you joy and if you haven’t touched it in 6-12 months, it’s totally worth getting rid of! I promise an organized home will save you so much time and stress! What are your best tips on getting organized? I’d love to hear them in the comment section below!
Your home isn’t the only thing that can be simplified. Sometimes, simplifying your style can be just as therapeutic. You know those pieces you reach for in your closet almost daily? That’s you definition of simplified style. So today I wanted to share a little glimpse of mine! Sometimes it’s an oversized sweater and leggings. Sometimes, it’s a denim jacket, t-shirt dress, and sneakers. But whatever it is, it doesn’t take much thought or time to put together, and some days we just need life to be simple, ya know?
You may recognize this jacket from previous posts, but it’s just one of those things that goes with so much. It’s slightly oversized which I love, and it’s great for wearing year round. Same goes for this dress! I saw this dress on so many people last year and fell in love with it. I was so excited when it went on sale, and I snagged one! It’s still on super sale and available in several great colors. I’m wearing a size small. Pairing sneakers with dresses is one of my favorite things to do lately. It’s such a good day to maximize your closet and also dress down a look! What’s your idea of simplified style?
Free Wardrobe Planner!
For simplifying your life even more, be sure to enter your email and you’ll receive a FREE seasonal wardrobe planner right to your inbox. This planner will help you clean out your closet and get clear on your personal style!
As always, thanks for stopping by today! I hope this gives you a little inspiration to get organized and simplify some parts of your life.